Wednesday, 30 March 2016

The Mortal Instruments: #1 & #2 | Book Recommendation


Hello Lovely!
Today I thought I'd venture into the unknown, and do something - that I've admittedly done before -but something new to this blog!

This blog used to be a book blog, as I've told you a bazillion (yes I'm making that a word) times! Back then, I used to do book reviews all of the time. But of course, nobody was really there to read them, except my best friend, who often commented to make me feel like someone was in fact reading it... sad times, haha! I haven't done one in a really long time, so you will have to bear with!

I am halfway through the mortal instruments series, and I am loving it! As I haven't done reviews for any of the other books, I thought I'd do a quick overview of the first one, ask my best friend, who has just finished the second, to do a little review, and then tomorrow a little review for City of Glass (book 3)!

* NO SPOILERS!*


City of Bones  

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder― much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing―not even a smear of blood―to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...

City of bones follows the story of Clary Fray. After witnessing some questionable acts in the downtown club, her mothers disappearance, and demons in her downtown Brooklyn apartment, Clary isn't too sure whats going on. I mean Clary is just a normal girl, in a normal city, with normal friends, and a normal life. Right? Wrong. Clary's mother has been keeping some secrets from her daughter. And like all secrets, they will be shattered, and Clary's world as she knows it, will come shattering down with them.
Everything in this book is put there for a reason, something you took for granted in the first book may crop up and be a huge plot twist in the next, you never know what will happen! Cassandra Clare's books are like one big rollercoaster, twisting and turning. You may think the ride has stopped, and everything is okay, but then it suddenly starts up again with a new plot point that you completely missed in the previous books!

I really enjoyed City of bones, however, it is by no means my favourite one in the series so far. Cassandra is constantly building upon the world and the characters she is creating, but, like most series, book one is often about laying the ground work for what follows. That's why, if you don't particularly enjoy the first book, I would completely recommend you carry on until the next! I personally didn't love city of bones, but after watching the TV Show (I have a little recommendation HERE) I went out and bought all of the books, and fell in love with them! Again, I have admitted to my book buying issues!

*BIG SPOILERS FOR CITY OF BONES!!*


City of Ashes 

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

This is my friends little review, as I couldn't remember much of city of ashes, and she had just finished it!

So much has happened in this book, I don't even know where to start! I rated this book 5/5 stars, due to the fact that I enjoyed it SO much more than the first one; when I was reading the first one, I actually found it quite boring and couldn't get my head around the different aspects of the Shadowhunter world. 

However, this one was sooo much better and more action-packed! I especially loved Jace's character and his ever so charming personality, along with his hilarious sarcasm! The only thing that bugged me a little bit was the long length of the chapters; it would be quite hard to be able to finish a chapter at school when I only have a limited amount of time to read. Sometimes the chapters were like 50 pages long aha! 

But, despite that, it was possibly one of the most action-packed and exciting books I have ever read, and Cassandra Clare was amazing at creating interesting and complicated relationships (*cough cough, Jace and Clary) haha.


This was a very long post, but hopefully tomorrows will be much shorter! As I said,  i will be posting a book review of the third book in the mortal instruments series, tomorrow! So if you could just go out and read them all by then, that would be great! aha. Until next time,

3 comments:

  1. Love this,Lauren! I would love to see more book reviews in the future.I haven't read any of the mortal instrument series,I do want to start reading more so I will definitely add these to the list!

    Sophie Jane | goo.gl/ABgcLI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie!! Well, you will hopefully see a lot more reviews around here! You should definitely read the mortal instruments, they are amazing! x

      Delete
  2. Loved this post! I was actually just looking for a new book to read and these look so nice!
    Paula | www.namelessgap.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete