Tuesday, 2 August 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury | Spoiler Free Book Review


*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR BOOK 1*


A Court of Mist and Fury
'Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people.
Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.'   ~ Goodreads


Holey Moley Holy Moley Holey Moley! Prepare for the longest book review you ever did see!
I don't think I can adequately muster up the words to express how perfect this book is! Okay so in my head i said that at about 1 million miles an hour, that's how excited I am!
I can honestly say, that this has to be one of my favourite books. Hell, its my absolute favourite book!
I mean, I absolutely loved A Court of Thorns and Roses - but this? No words can describe the pain I feel that I have to wait a year - a whole year - before I can continue on this journey with characters that I adore. The book hangover is going strong.

It took me a whole week to get through the first half of this book, I just wanted to save it! I knew that once I'd read those words there was no going back, I couldn't unread them and enjoy it in the same way again. But then I just couldn't, I said to hell with it, and read the last 300 pages in one night. oops.

When writing little notes along the way to help with this review, I wrote, no paraphrasing here: 'Sarah  mushes with my mind'. I mean, okay that's probably not the most poetic thing you will ever read, but come on, if you've ever read a Sarah J Maas book, you know I speak the truth! The fact that she can make you love a character one minute and hate another, but when you see from another perspective - behind the mask - you end  up completely swapping those ideas, loving the other. That made no sense, but if you read it you will totally understand! And if I'm being honest, its amazing and kind of scary what a writer can do.

The character development in this book is utterly amazing! Issues with PTSD play a large role in this,  and I am not expert, but I think it was handled extremely well. Of course, a traumatic event like the one Feyre endured Under the Mountain would take its toll, would change her. And I loved how this wasn't ignored, she didnt spring free and was immediately happy to continue with life as if nothing happened. No, bad things happened, and she will always remember them, as I said, I really appreciated that this wasnt ignored.

One of the main things that jumps out at me about this book is how, in my opinion, it completely crushes the ideology of a damsel in distress. Feyre doesn't want to be locked away, she doesn't want to forfeit the acts that can help her friends, just to be kept safe. She isn't the kind of character, like displayed in so many other YA books, that would just wait for the man to save her, wait until he will coddle her up in warm blankets and keep her tucked out of harms way whilst he saves the land. Feyre wants to fight, and fight she shall.

Whew. One thing that really made me love this book was the romance... or shall I say the romantic interests (oh we all know I'm talking about the hot dudes)  aha. Yes I'm a terrible person, I could be describing the poetic writing or the kickass fight scenes, but instead, like the hormone pumped teenager I am, the guys got me. I'm a sucker for a good YA romance, but this had me making sounds inaudible to the human ear, let me tell you!  Let's just say that there is s certain someone in this book that I will be buying tshirts with his face on. oh, I wish I was kidding, haha.
Just a little disclaimer, this book is very sexy, turns out that there was a reason for the 'not suitable for younger readers sticker' on the front - who knew? If you're uncomfortable or just don't like seeing that in a book then maybe this isn't for you.


A Court of Mist and Fury is a story of pain and heartbreak and lust, but all of that is overruled with the prosperity of revival. This book shows you that, you can be broken- broken to a point you believe irreparable- but something - some tiny flicker of light in that darkness - can spark something that will patch the holes. This story shows that, yeah, okay, maybe you will never be the person you once were, but who you are now is all that really matters. Change is natural.  This story shows that you can make light from darkness. To become someone you want to be.


“I was not a pet, not a doll, not an animal.
I was a survivor, and I was strong.
I would not be weak, or helpless again
I would not, could not be broken. Tamed.”
― Sarah J. Maas, A Court of Mist and Fury


Well, I guess that is all I should say without going on a rant (these things happen. My grandad asked me what it was about - so of course I had to start from book one, and consequently spent an hour explaining everything that happens in both books). So I will log off before I spoil everything for you. Go out and read it, you wont regret it. I guess we will reconvene next year (that's way to long) for a review of the last book!
P.S, Kudos to you if you got this far! <3
Until next time,





UPDATE:
THIS IS NOT A TRILOGY. I REPEAT, NOT A TRILOGY!
It was just announced that Sarah has extended her contract, and will continue writing this an 8 book series! I'm so happy, but also a little worried - there are so many things that she could do to hurt a certain character that I love, oh gosh...  Still so excited though!

5 comments:

  1. I love your book reviews! This book looks amazing! I really, really need to read them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes you really have to get them, they're amazing you won't regret it! <3 x

      Delete
  2. Oh my god ! YES ! ACOMAF is one of the best book I've read this year. I wasn't a big fan of ACOTAR and then ACOMAF came out and I was drooling over the pages. I mean, Rhysand, right ? Who can resist ?

    I know what you mean about Sarah J Maas making us hate or love a character very quickly. I think she has a magical power. Even in the ToG I get manipulated so easily... *sigh*

    And the sexy scenes are just... *faint* Ahem ! I could talk for hours about this book but I'm going to stop there haha Great review by the way !

    - The Mad Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES! Rhysand is just- uh I cant even talk about it! He's probably my all time favourite fictional would-be-boyfriend-if-he-were-real, haha! When he cried in that one scene, I think I died a little bit inside. Thank youu! x

      Delete
    2. YES YES YES! Rhysand is just- uh I cant even talk about it! He's probably my all time favourite fictional would-be-boyfriend-if-he-were-real, haha! When he cried in that one scene, I think I died a little bit inside. Thank youu! x

      Delete